Blogging For Accountability

I've come to realize that even though I've been a Christian since childhood, I haven't grown as much as I should in my Christian walk. My body has transformed into adulthood, but I am still a toddler in my Christian walk. After a good friend of mine started a blog on saving money, I've grown to enjoy reading blogs, so I decided to start a blog of my own for accountability purposes. I hope that this blog will be an encouragement for both me and those who stop by to read it.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Kids Ought to Come With Manuals, Right?

She doesn't look hard to handle, does she? Seriously, she is so cute, and she acts so grown up. But, boy does she give me a run for my money! As I was getting dressed for church yesterday morning I whispered a quick prayer that the morning would run smoothly because Satan just has a way of slipping into our home on Sunday mornings. All was going well until it was time to get Klaire dressed. Of course, she was busy playing, and she didn't want to stop to get dressed. After telling her several times to come over and to let me put her dress on, I started to get agitated with her. Of course, the cycle began, I told her over and over to be still, stand up, stand still, and on and on. Then, as I tried to put her hair up and put her bow in she kept moving around and I had to start over. Korey threatened a spanking a couple of times until he finally declared that she would indeed receive a spanking AFTER CHURCH.

At that point, her face fell, she immediately began pleading her case as she always does when she knows that she's in too deep. My heart sank. Because I'm an educator I know that young children need discipline immediately in order for it to be effective. On top of that, Klaire is a worry wart. I seriously wouldn't doubt it if she has an ulcer by the time she starts kindergarten. I mean, what three year old jerks her head around toward the television every day when she realizes that the weather is on and says, "Mama, is there gonna be a funderstorm today?" She is deathly afraid of thunder and lightning. I went to Korey and told him that I thought that he should spank her BEFORE we left for church instead of three hours later. He disagreed. So, we left for church with Klaire whining that she didn't want a spanking, Korey upset with me because I questioned his parenting skills, and me upset with Korey because he didn't agree with me. Boy does Satan figure out how to weasel his way in. Hhmph!

Just after Sunday School Korey and I briefly discussed our difference of opinion about the situation again, and he declared that he just wouldn't spank Klaire at all. Wrong decision. Now, I do know enough to know that you have to keep your word when it comes to discipline, but why does parenting have to be so hard? Oddly enough, when the pastor began to preach yesterday his sermon was entitled, "Ten Things to Teach Your Children." I knew we were in for an interesting ride. One of his key points during the message was to expect obedience from your children and to always keep your word when it comes to discipline. On the way home from church Klaire said, "What did ya'll learn in Bible School today?" I thought, "Oh little one, you don't even want to know!" Guess what happened when we got home? You got it! Klaire got her spanking ... and she did live. It probably hurt my heart much more that it hurt her bottom. :)

Lately I've felt like I spend a whole lot time reprimanding Klaire, but I realize that toddlers require lots of boundaries. During these times I recite Proverbs 22:6 in my mind which reminds me to "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." When I have to spank her, I will recite Proverbs 24:13 in my mind which reminds me of the promise that tells us that if "we spare the rod we will spoil the child." I decided to spend my quiet time today looking for other promises regarding discipline so here are a few that I thought I'd share with you.

"If you refuse to discipline your children, it proves you don't love them; if you love your children you will be prompt to discipline them." Proverbs 13:24 (NLT)

"Discipline your children while there is hope. If you don't you will ruin their lives." Proverbs 19:18 (NLT)

"Even children are known by the way they act, whether their conduct is pure and right." Proverbs 20:11 (NLT)

"To discipline and reprimand a child produces wisdom, but a mother is disgraced by an undisciplined child." (NLT)

"Discipline your children, and they will give you happiness and peace of mind." Proverbs 29:17 (NLT)


The Bible has a lot to tell us about the importance of discipline. With a toddler it is easy to feel that all that you do is nag, correct, and redirect. Proverbs 29:15 reminds us that this will eventually lead to self-discipline. Whew! Discipline isn't easy, but it is necessary. It is an act of love! What promises have you been reminded of lately that you needed to hear?

2 comments:

Sheila Hill said...

If anyone understands, it is me! Alex is the exact same way! I feel like a horrible parent most of the time because I am constantly telling her NO and I feel like I am wounding her spirit constantly.
If you find that manual, please let me know!

Jessica said...

that sounds like me with Kaleb! It's always "no, Kaleb. Get away from that! Leave that alone."